What You Need to Know About E-Liquids
An e-liquid is a special solution that is used in an electronic cigarette. When heated, the solution produces the same sensation as smoking massive clouds of vapor. E-liquids come in bottles or pre-filled disposable cartridges. There are many different e-liquid flavors on the market.
The Composition of E-liquids
E-liquids are made of four different components; Vegetable Glycerin (VG), Propylene Glycol (PG), Nicotine, and Flavorings.
- Vegetable glycerin (VG) – This is a clear, odorless liquid that is derived from plants oil. It has many uses and plays a role in e-liquids. Vegetable glycerin is thick and contributes to the cloud production of e-liquids. MAX VG e-liquids will give you a mild throat hit. It has a mildly sweet taste. Sweet, high VG e-liquids are more likely to clog your coil and cause a build-up of gunk.
- Propylene glycol (PG) – This is a viscous, colorless liquid. It is almost odorless with a slightly sweet taste. Propylene glycol used in e-liquids for many reasons. One reason is that it has a lower density than vegetable glycerin thus reduces the risk of a build-up. Propylene glycol gives e-liquids a stronger throat hit.
- Nicotine – This is a toxic, colorless or yellowish oily liquid which is found in tobacco. In small doses, it acts as a stimulant. It mimics the action of a naturally occurring brain chemical which activates part of the ‘pleasure center’ in the brain and gives you a euphoric effect. E-liquids come with different nicotine strength levels. A low level of nicotine provides a mild throat hit like what you get from an ultra-light cigarette. A medium nicotine level will give you a slightly more intense throat hit like a light cigarette. A high level of nicotine will give you the kind of throat hit you get from a regular tobacco cigarette.
- Flavoring – E-liquids can contain both natural and artificial flavoring. Natural flavorings contain no artificial ingredients, additives, colors, or sweeteners. They come from natural sources. Artificial flavors are chemical mixtures that mimic natural flavors.
The Different Types of E-liquids
Knowing the ingredients in an e-liquid is not enough when buying vape juice. Firstly, you need to know that taste is subjective. E-juice flavors can be separated into six main categories namely fruity, tobacco, desserts, beverages, candies, and menthols.
- Fruity e-liquids – There is a wide range of fruity e-liquids on the market. They can be single or mixed fruits. Generally, fruity e-liquids can be sweet or sour. For example, you will find fruity e-liquids with the flavor of strawberries, apples, pineapples, etc.
- Tobacco e-liquids – Tobacco e-liquids are recommended for vapers who are switching from smoking cigarettes. You can find many types of tobacco e-liquids on the market such as sweet tobacco, spiced tobacco, menthol tobacco, cigar tobacco, and many others. One good thing about vaping tobacco e-juice is that the flavor does not linger on your clothes or furniture like when smoking a cigarette.
- Dessert e-liquids – If you like desserts, you’ll find many dessert e-liquids on the market. Some examples include apple pie or chocolate cake. There are probably as many dessert e-liquids as there are dessert recipes.
- Beverage e-liquids – You will find e-liquids with the flavor of soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, cocktails, etc. The choice is endless.
- Candy e-liquids – These are e-liquids with just about any candy flavor that you can think about. One of the advantages of vaping candy e-liquids is that you can relish your favorite candy flavor without packing any calories.
- Menthol e-liquids – If you like menthol, there are many cool, refreshing e-liquids on the market today. There are also minty e-liquids like peppermint, spearmint, etc.
When choosing an e-liquid, the VG and PG ratio that you select is also important.
- MAX VG – This denotes e-liquids with a vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol ratio of 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, 90/10 or 100% vegetable glycerin. MAX VG e-liquids are known for producing abundant vapor.
- MAX PG – This refers to e-liquids that have a propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerine of 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, 90/10 or 100% propylene glycol. MAX PG e-liquids are known for their rich flavor, and intense throat hit.